Google has the incentive to keep users locked into their ecosystem. That’s why the Google Search bar is sitting there, taking up space on the home screen of every brand new Android device. If you don’t use the Search bar and its just taking up the room, here’s how you can get rid of it.
Why remove the Google Search bar?
Google wants its Assistant service to be successful. So, they’ve put the little microphone icon on their Search bar with the hope that you’ll use it thanks to its convenient placement. But if you’re not into it, removing the search bar is often quite easy on most phones, if not exactly obvious.
The most common reason is on-screen real estate: that bar takes up space that could be put to better use by displaying app icons or more of your snazzy wallpaper.
Removing the Google Search bar isn’t difficult, but the process differs from device to device. Most of the time you just need to long press the bar itself and an option to remove or hide it will pop up.
On Samsung and LG handsets, for example, you just remove it like you would any other home screen widget. On Sony Xperia handsets, however, this process won’t work.
Below are a couple of examples of how to do it. All devices should follow fairly similar steps, so try the first example, and if it doesn’t work, move on to the next:
- Tap and hold on the Google Search bar.
- A popup should then prompt you to remove it.
To retrieve the Search bar:
- Tap and hold an empty space on the home screen.
- Tap Widgets in the menu that appears.
- Navigate to Google App folder and tap it.
- Drag and drop the search bar from inside the folder to suitable space on one of your home screens.
- Tap and hold your home screen. A new menu will appear.
- At the top of the screen will be the Google Search bar. Tap and hold it and an option to remove will appear.
- Tap your home button or return key.
- The Google Search bar should now be hidden.
If you want to get the Google Search bar back once you’ve removed it, simply tap and hold your screen again, open Widgets from the bottom menu and select Google.
The google search bar is very easy to remove but in some of the smartphones, it gets irritative to remove it. And due to this, the above steps may not get worked and on some smartphones, it becomes necessary to root your phone. However, the above method works accurately.